Articles in international journals
34. “Why do voters dismantle checks and balances?”, Review of Economic Studies, forthcoming (with Daron Acemoglu, MIT, and James A. Robinson, Harvard University). For online Appendix see here: “Online Appendix: Why do voters dismantle checks and balances?: extensions and robustness”.
33. “Overconfidence, Monetary Policy Committees and Chairman Dominance”, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 2012, 699-711 (with Carl Andreas Claussen, Sveriges Riksbank - Central Bank of Sweden, Egil Matsen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and Øistein Røisland, Norges Bank - Central Bank of Norway)
is democracy an equilibrium? Theory and evidence from
Colombia’s La Violencia”, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 2011, 366-396 (with Marion Chacon,
New York University Abu Dhabi and James A. Robinson,
31. “A political economy theory of the soft budget
constraint”, European Economic Review,
2009, 786-798 (with James A. Robinson,
30. “The real swing voter’s curse”, American Economic Review P&P, 2009,
310-315 (with James A. Robinson,
29. “Why do some resource-abundant countries succeed while others do not?”, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 2009, 241-256.
28. “Savers, spenders and fiscal policy in a small open economy”, The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, 2007, Vol. 7, Issue 1, Article22 (Topics) (with Egil Matsen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and Tommy Sveen, Norges Bank - Central Bank of Norway)
27. “A theory of civil conflict and democracy in
rentier states”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2006, 571-585 (with Silje
26. “Political foundations of the resource curse”, Journal of Development Economics, 2006, 447-468 (with James A. Robinson, Harvard University, and Thierry Verdier, Paris School of Economics). For an alternative model formulation see here: Political foundations of the resource curse: an alternative formulation.
25. “Cursed by resources or institutions?”, World Economy, 2006,
1117-1031 (with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene,
24. “Poverty and crime in 19th century
Germany”, Journal of Urban Economics,
2006, 370-388 (with Halvor Mehlum,
and the Resource Curse”, The Economic Journal,
2006, 1-20 (with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene,
22. “Should inflation-targeting central banks care about
traded and non-traded sectors?”, ICFAI
Journal of Bank Management, 2006 (with Kai Leitemo,
Dutch disease”, Journal of
Development Economics, 2005, 494-515 (with
Policy Rules and the Exchange Rate Channel”, Applied Financial Economics, 2005, 1165-1170 (with Kai Leitemo,
19. “White Elephants”, Journal of Public Economics, 2005, 197-210 (with James A. Robinson,
18. ”Crime Induced Poverty Traps”, Journal of Development Economics, 2005, 325-340 (with Halvor Mehlum
and Karl Ove Moene,
17. ”Exchange rate versus inflation targeting: A theory of output
fluctuations in traded and non-traded sectors”, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 2004,
265-285 (with Øistein Røisland, Norges Bank - Central
16. ”Predator or Prey? Parasitic enterprises in economic development”, European Economic Review, 2003, 275-294 (with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene, University of Oslo).
creativity”, Nordic Journal of
Political Economy, 2003, 77-83 (with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene,
currency areas under inflation targeting”, Open Economies Review,
2003, 99-118 (with Øistein Røisland, Norges Bank -
Central Bank of
13. ”Interactions between agriculture and industry: Theoretical
analysis of the consequences of discriminating agriculture in sub-Saharan
Africa”, Review of Development Economics, 2003, 138-151 (with
12. ”Natural resources, rent-seeking and welfare”, Journal of Development Economics, 2002, 455-470.
11. “Time inconsistency and the exchange rate channel of monetary policy”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2002, 391-397 (with Kai Leitemo, Norwegian School of Management, and Øistein Røisland, Norges Bank - Central Bank of Norway).
& Protection Inc.”, Journal of Peace Research, 2002, 447-459
(with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene,
9. ”Learning by doing and the Dutch disease”, European Economic Review, 2001, 285-306.
8. ”Zimbabwean trade liberalisation:
ex post evaluation”, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 1998, 325-346 (with
7. ”Economic openness, trade
restrictions and external shocks: modelling short run
effects in Sub-Saharan Africa”, Economic Modelling,
1998, 257-286 (with
6. ”Short-run consequences
of trade liberalization: a computable general equilibrium model of Zimbabwe”, Journal
of Policy Modeling, 1998, 305-333 (with Rob Davies, University of Zimbabwe,
5. ”Real exchange rate dynamics and trade liberalization: the case of multiple tariffs and unemployment”, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 1997, 329-344.
4. ”Agricultural supply-led industrialization: a macromodel with sub-Saharan African characteristics”, Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 1997, 351-370.
3. ”The macroeconomics of
2. ”Trade policy under a binding foreign exchange constraint”, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 1994, 15-31.
1. ”Talent, growth and income distribution”, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 1993, 581-596.
Chapters in books
“Institutional comparative statics”, in Daron Acemoglu, Manuel Arellano and Eddie Dekel (eds.), 2013, Advances in Economics and Econometrics, Cambridge University Press: New York, 97-134 (with James A. Robinson, Harvard University).
“Mineral rents and social development in Norway”, in Katja Hujo (ed.), 2012, Mineral Rents and the Financing of Social Policy. Opportunities and Challenges, Palgrave Macmillan, 155-184 (with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene, University of Oslo).
“The political economy of reform in resource rich countries”, in Rabah Arezki, Thorvaldur Gylfason and Amadou Sy (eds.), 2011, Beyond the Curse. Policies to Harness the Power of Natural Resources, IMF, 237-255.
“Parasites”, in S. Bowles and K. Hoff (ed.), 2006, Poverty Traps, Princeton University Press, (with Halvor Mehlum and Karl Ove Moene, University of Oslo).
”Trade liberalization and
investment response in
”The macroeconomics of
foreign aid in sub-Saharan Africa: Dutch disease effects reconsidered”, in K.
Gupta (ed.), 1999, Foreign Aid: New Perspectives, Kluwer
Recent Working Papers
“Chinas Savings Multiplier” (with Halvor Mehlum, University of Oslo, and Simone Valente, Norwegian University of Science and Technology).
“Endogenous Presidentialism” (with James A. Robinson, Harvard University).
“Local natural resource curse?” (with Lars-Erik Borge and Pernille Parmer, Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
“Political foundations of the resource curse: a simplification and a comment”, (with James A. Robinson, Harvard University, and Thierry Verdier, Paris School of Economics).
“Petro Populism” (with Gisle J. Natvik, Norges Bank – Central Bank of Norway, and Egil Matsen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology).
“The need for enemies” (with Leopoldo Fergusson, Universidad de los Andes, James A. Robinson, Harvard University, and Juan F. Vargas, Universidad del Rosario ).
Selected publications in Norwegian
”Realvalutakurs og innfasing av oljeinntekter” I Ø. Eitrheim og K. Gulbrandsen (red.), 2003, Hvilke faktorer kan forklare utviklingen i valutakursen?, Norges Banks Skriftserie Nr. 31.
”Pengepolitisk regime og konkurranseutsatt sektor”. I J. F. Qvigstad og Ø. Røisland (red.), 2000, Perspektiver på pengepolitikken, Gyldendal Akademisk, 187-226 (med Øistein Røisland).
”Finanspolitikk og økonomisk vekst – en oversikt”, Norsk Økonomisk Tidsskrift, 1997, 129-151.
”Ny vekstteori: En smakebit på modellformuleringer og resultater, Norsk
Økonomisk Tidsskrift, 1993, 69-92 (med Lars-Erik Borge).
Editor: xxx, Contact address: Ragnar.Torvik@svt.ntnu.no, Updated: 19.06.2013